Actors’ call out
Auditions August 2017.
- 22 August 10am-5pm at The Hat Factory, Luton
- 23 August 10am-5pm, University of Warwick, nr Coventry
Who are we looking for?
Professional, young actors whose playing age can be 17 – 21 years old, with a passion for new writing. We will be auditioning actors in threes, a timetable for which will be sent out nearer the time. You are welcome to apply as a solo actor, and there is no prep needed as we will give you a script to work from on the day. We are ideally looking for actors born and raised in and around the Luton area.
- Character 1: Playing age 16/17 years. Male, Black
- Character 2: Playing age 16/17 years. Female, Asian
- Character 3: Playing age 16/17 years. Male, White
The actors we recruit will take part in one week’s rehearsal and a week of Rehearsed Readings of our new play (Dis)Connected by Atiha Sen Gupta, with the possibility of being in the national/ international tour from March 2018.
- Please send your up to date CV and a head shot to email@example.com by Thursday 10 August, 12pm.
- We will notify successful candidates by Monday 14 August.
- You will be invited to audition, in threes, on Tuesday 22 August in Luton and/or on Wednesday 23 August in Coventry.
You must be available for the following dates:
Rehearsals: 4-9 September 2017
Rehearsed readings: 11-15 September and 1-3 November
PAYMENT WILL BE BASED ON ITC RATES.
Who are we?
Mandala is a professional national and international touring theatre company which uses the power of performance to change young lives, build communities and foster social justice. We are a Community Interest Company, which works on developing theatre for social change. Our first show Night Light, which toured in 2016 / 2017, looked at the challenges unaccompanied asylum seekers face when reaching 18 in the UK and was critically well received.
(Dis)Connected looks at the story of three young people who have grown up in the same community, their connection or disconnection from it, and the consequences. This is the second year of a three year project, exploring place, identity and belonging in the wider social setting.
Yasmin Sidhwa (Director) is an experienced director and the founder of Mandala Theatre Company. She works nationally and internationally, and is well renowned for her work in Theatre for social change.
Atiha Sen Gupta (writer) is a critically acclaimed playwright and writer-in-residence at Stratford East. She is currently researching and writing the show.